Friday, May 29, 2009

Zipping Here, Zipping There!


Last year we decided to try a new sport. To us anyway. It's been hanging around, and I use the term loosely, for a few years and had intrigued us for some time. So, we packed up the car and drove an hour or so East on the Trans Canada Highway.
We registered, signed the waivers, paid and collected our safety gear. We then went through a comprehensive safety briefing and were taken to the first phase of our Sky Trek Adventure Park.
Climbing ladders, carefully walking toe to toe across a metal wire strung between two trees, crawling across rope nets and hanging in a harness while gliding from one tree to the other.
It takes a great deal of faith to practically throw oneself off a small wooden platform 45 feet in the air and rely on a 1/2 inch coil of steel to keep you from falling to the ground and killing yourself. Once I got over the fear that that wire wasn't going to fail, I was able to truly enjoy myself, even relishing in the feel of the cool breeze on my face as I zipped from one tree to the other.
I knew that it would be physically challenging, but I didn't realize just how difficult it was going to be. I completed the first two courses, but declined the third. The day was getting old, as was I, and I just knew I would be feeling this activity come morning.
And how! I found muscles I had forgotten I had. Walking was painful for a week and my rear end wasn't pleased either. My arms throbbed and I'm not sure where the big bruise on my right side came from.
You would think that once would be enough for this woman. Yet, I find my mind wandering to the third and most difficult part of the Trek that I didn't complete. I can't leave that unfinished. So this summer my daughter and I will once again find ourselves at the Enchanted Forest Adventure Trek, climbing rope ladders, walking toe to toe and gliding between ancient trees in one of Canada's most beautiful primordial forests.
My butt just aches as I think about it.
I can't wait to feel my muscles rebel once again.








1 comment:

  1. being in Kamloops, I'm surprised you didn't land in Kam-ploops.

    Thanks for the memories, the photos, the sunsets, and the wildlife photos!

    I love your dog photos; wrestling with the hose, fantastic pictures of that Lil rascal, enjoy your life.


    Thank you
    Chris A

    In Memory of my mother

    ReplyDelete