Monday, May 25, 2009

Chickadee Ridge!



A Visit To Chickadee Ridge, Armstrong BC

A few years ago I learned about an amazing place that had a herd of over 250 horses. It was less than an hours drive from home in a lovely town called Armstrong, so I thought it would make a great day trip. And did we ever have fun! Just finding the place was a treat, then actually getting out among the horses was amazing. Over 250 horses that rushed over to see you as soon as they spotted you! They were so loving and gentle.



They even had a giant rocking horse. Notice the real rocking horse beside it? Look carefully!










Of course, these aren't normal everyday riding horses. These are MINIATURE HORSES! Each perfectly proportional to their full size counterpart, but ever so adorable. This guy was almost full grown! The horses were scattered in various paddocks and could move from one field to another freely. Often they would look up from grazing, see us and begin wandering toward us.
They loved to be touched and petted, and were especially attracted to my daughter. At first she was weary of them, but they quickly made her feel welcome and the day passed too quickly watching her play with them

We both were quite taken with this little guy. He was about two weeks old and calm as anything as we approached. His mother just looked at us, whinnied a cheerful welcome and continued to graze nearby.
If I thought I could get away with it, I'd have one in the back yard for a pet. It could fit through the doggie door and they are able to be house trained!



This guy was fascinated by my shoes and kept trying to eat my laces. Every time I tried to get a picture of my daughter with him, he'd put his head down and start directly for my feet, giving the lace a munch!
I think I shall have to take another trip to Chickadee Ridge soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment